Thursday, March 08, 2007

opportunity

I feel like I have finally tured a corner here in Granbury. I moved here on January 23rd and started my job on the 24th! Never again! We all should have at least a week between jobs but I was a little freaked out about not having a paycheck for a week. If I was smart I would have taken the risk.
In other words, I made the transition from Vernon to Granbury in about 3 hours.......the time it took to drive here after I said my goodbyes at Wilbarger. I guess only now do I see why the last month has been so up and down: I had no transition! What a goof!
But I feel like things are starting to settle a bit around here. I am starting to see some great opportunity for ministry here. I spent some time at the Behavioral Transition Center (BTC) which is an alternative school for kids with behavioral issues and problems with the law. They asked me to come and be a mentor for a kid who has a horrible home life and is always in trouble. I am really excited about getting to know this kid. The possiblities of effecting a kid like this for Christ is immense. I will get you in on more of this as it develops.
Also I think I am going to be starting to volunteer at the Boys and Girls club a few afternoons a week. I will get to hang out with a bunch of rugrats and dominate them in basketball I guess. WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE! It will be a lot of fun.

I write all of this mainly to tell you that God has been preparing me for a ministry like this for the last three years. I have people here who are actively trying to get me in these kids lives and see the obvious need for the light of Jesus in these places where Satan has so ravaged innocent lives. I am eager to tell stories of how Christ will work in these places where light is needed so badly.

I ask for your prayers because it is somthing I both am excited about but also fearful. My natural inclination is not to be a social animal. I am a quiet dude mainly. So, to meet and get to know kids who are in different situations that I am scares me a bit. Yet, as I have always believed, teenagers are teenagers no matter where they come from. They are all a little goofy and weird, smell funky, and have a lot of hormones raging. It will be intersting.

Not sure where to go from here so I will quit. I hope you guys are doing well.

4 comments:

Niki said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I've been wanting to talk to you about how things are going there. It sounds like you have some great plans. After reading this post I feel like I need to remind you that "YOU" (quiet dude) are very gifted in loving on kids like only "YOU" can! Teens don't need the flash in the pan - Mr. Big Personality youth minister. They need genuine love from a man that God has placed in their lives to meet them where they are at now-not who they might become later...whether or not they go to church. You have a lot to offer troubled kids...you are patient and kind, funny and REAL. They can see through falseness in a heartbeat. Be fearful - that's o.k. The unknown is a scary place to live. I know that you know that you're never alone in what God calls you into. I'm glad you've turned that corner and are ready to embrace this new phase of life.

I love you Chris! You're my brother and I have your back. You're in my prayers and I'm on your sidelines cheering you on!

grace said...

Thanks for linking me...i'll return the favor...

:)

pam

Unknown said...

Joy! The work that God puts us in stretches us into an uncomfortable shape to bring Him glory. I am proud of you, and you are still a hero of mine. I would not be doing what I am doing if I had not seen the courage of men like you and Andy, and Allen. May God bless you beyond all you hope or imagine...

liz gibbs said...

Hey. I post to my blog. I just had to wait til I thought of something to say.