Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I have been a typically passive minister during my three years of full time youth ministry. Usually I have depended on youth and families to seek me out or come to church for my ministry influence. Yet, outside of missions, I have not been a very deliberate minister. In other words, I have allowed the by-products of my job, that is class, small group, and worship, to take the place of the calling that Christ gave me: to bring the kingdom of God to those who don't know it.

Most of us (ministers) fall into this trap. We will punch our clocks, go to church, put in our office hours and hope that will sufice to keep our positions of ministry. And, typically it works. When people see me in my office vigorously typing at my keyboard or listning to Christain music, they are assuming that the "Lord's Work" is being done. It is easy on the eyes, you know?

Yet today I got a little cabin fever. I have been in my office way too much lately. I guess I was tired and bored and wanted to try something new. So I packed up my laptop and other various gizmos and went to the "Coffee Grinder" on the square here in Granbury. Actually, I am typing this post from here. I have just swung through here from time to time but never have actually sat down. I noticed something today when I came in. A big group of teenagers drinking coffee and hanging out.

They seem to be your typical coffee house goers. An eclectic (I love using that word.....not sure what it REALLY means) group of kids who seem to not really fit in anywhere else but this place. They are just hanging out, talking about weird stuff and finding community with each other. Pretty typical of teens around here.

Some were smoking, some were tatooed, most dressed a little different than me. I am a lot more white, clean skinned, and preppy. I wonder though what kind of presence I could be in the lives of kids like that. I don't look a lot like them or share their stories. But maybe they could use some love. Maybe they could stand to see Jesus.

I am assuming a lot when I look at them but maybe this is where the mission is. In the coffee shop. On the street. Amongst people who freak me out. I am just musing I guess.

I hope to figure out what can be done here in this little shop. Jesus infiltrated the places that others didn't go with people who looked a little strange. I talk a big talk about these things but am yet to really do a lot about it. Maybe this is a place where God can be real for kids like these.

For those of you guys who read this.............what do you think? How do we approach people who don't look like us or talk like us or share our stories? How you even start? With what kind of spirit and heart do you approach those kids of kids without appearing like you have an adgenda for them?

Anyways, these are some thoughts from the Coffee Grinder on a rainy Tuesday. I am sure there will be more...........

Grace and Peace,

Chris

3 comments:

grace said...

Speaking as one who has managed to "inflitrate" with a group of folks who don't fit in with us conservative Christian types....I'll just say this....

being transparent, open, honest...this is the key to forming relationship....and relationship is the key to the WHOLE thing....you approach those who seem somehow "weaker" than you with the attitude that they can actually minister to you...not as if you are all about "helping" them.....and believe me, they have alot to teach you (at least that's been my experience)....

at some point, after relationship is in place....it turns around and you get to be listened to for what you have to offer....

and both parties get changed....cause nobody encounters Jesus without getting altered in some way, even if one or the other continues to deny His redemption....He's just that good.

Unknown said...

i feel the same conflict (Holy Spirits urging?) when in a group. As i look at people in coffee shops, or restaraunts wherever, i wonder how Jesus desires for me to act in this place today.So I am of no help to you there.

I do want to respond to the idea of an "agenda."
I do not think it is a bad thing to have an agenda. If our concern for them seems purposeless, or without an agenda of love or concern for who they are, who they desire to be, and how they arrive there, then we do them a misservice and only notch our guns so to speak. Then i become no different from the many who have come before me and just dunked and dropped and moved on to "pad" the numbers of those they have converted.
I must have an agenda, and must let them know that I have an agenda to show them that someone that is different from them, someone who looks differently talks different, etc. cares about their dreams and desires. I must show love without requiring that they conform to the way I look, or act. Honestly, how can they ever accept Jesus if I do not accept them.

Sorry, i will get off my rant now. I guess I am just frustrated with myself and my judgmental nature...

Adam said...

Keep going and listening, not necessarily to them (although a bit of "accidental eavesdropping" might not hurt) but to God's stirrings. Be intentional about being used for his purposes and I think clarity will follow; it may not be immediate and that's where patience and consistency flourish.

When I worked at Starbucks, it took three to four weeks to recognize our regulars (either by name, drink, or both) and become comfortable with and accepted by my co-workers, but as I did, opportunities constantly opened before me. That's one of the places I began to see answers to my prayers for faithfulness, patience, and wisdom. And like working with teens, I teamed with the Spirit in some way (big or small, I don't know) to extend love and grace.

I think it's awesome that you've got that place and I'll be praying for prompting from God for you as you continue to participate, experience, and share the love of Christ.