Wednesday, April 08, 2009

some explanation

There has been a little confusion about the new title of the blog so I figured I would take a moment to explain. Before I do though, it would be prudent to note that I am in no way a wordsmith or witty with words. What you see as a title is about the best I know how to do. While in my little 'Chris Robey noggin' I thought it was really funny, those who read it might be scratching their own noggins a bit.

I am not gonna explain "city slicker". Seriously. But the "Ranch Style World" has significance in two ways. First of all, as Lydia and I were engaged, we bought a house out in the country that was pretty much in the middle between Granbury and Ft Worth. This house has a certain style to it that is known as "Ranch Style". For months and months the little "City Slicker" in me called it "Texas Style". After being corrected by my wife about a thousand times, I finally figured out my error.

Also, I have married a country music fan. And she (plus tons of other country fans in this area) listen to something called "Texas Country". If you grew up in the "Westoplex", that is Fort Worth and areas west of the city, you listen to your Texas Country on a station known as "The Ranch". Now, let me say this about "The Ranch": You have good music, but nothing to be arrogant about. There is an inherint cockiness about Texas Country not being "Nashville" and that everything that comes out of Nashville is crap. I have no problem with this assumption about the music, but it isn't something to be cocky about. "The Ranch" even modifies its broadcast signal so it cannot be heard in Dallas because they feel like that side of the metroplex isn't worthy of their brand of music. I wish I was making this up, but I couldn't. I am not that smart! Just look at my blog title!

So, all rants aside, that is why I used the term "Ranch Style World". While I do like the beans, I don't think they are a fitting enough reason to use them as an inspiration for a blog title. Now, coutry fried steak....that might be a good idea........

4 comments:

Robert said...

That's why The Ranch drives me crazy. Who are they to decide who's worthy of their music? Way to defy Fort Worth stereotypes, The Ranch.

Lydia said...

I think it's funny!! It drive Chris crazy when they talk about the "far east" referring to Dallas...I love it!

good blog chris!!

Rachel said...

Can I just tell you that I feel sooooo bad? I'm sorry...and don't worry, Bret has done a great job of taking your side and making me feel even worse! :)

No, really..."Ranch-syle" is perfect, for all the reasons you mentioned, all of which I thought about as I was being chastised by my husband. (Except the radio station, didn't know about that.) I think the real problem here is that I'm sometimes a bit of a dummy and don't understand things as I should... You keep writing good stuff, I'll keep feeding my family beans (yes, you can expect them next time you guys have dinner over here!), and we'll all be happy! Sorry again...

tee hee -- the word verification I just had to type was "tootr!"

Bret Wells said...

Yeah, take that "The Ranch" - I love Texas singer songwriters and I won't listen to the Ranch...mostly because I couldn't when I lived in Dallas and now its just principle!