Monday, May 21, 2007

going back

This week is graduation week in most towns across America. Since my move in January I knew that this week would come. One of my biggest goals when I lived in Vernon was to see this year's class graduate. They were the kids that I started with when I began youth ministry in 2004. I had a personal goal to see them through high school and graduate before I ever thought of leaving.

Well, as usual God has different plans. At the end of last year, God dropped an amazing opportunity on my lap with my new job in Granbury, Texas. I had to take it. There was no doubt in my mind that he was leading me here. I couldn't explain it then, and I really can't now. This is where I need to be.

Yet this whole move has messed up my plans. I felt a bit like I abandoned those kids when I left. They were the reason I lived in Vernon. I wasn't a huge fan of the town or the "small town" enviornment. But the kids and familes I fell in love with. So I have struggled a bit since I have been here because I have not been able to keep in touch with my friends up there because of my new life here. That is generally what happens when you move, despite your best intentions.

This week has brought some great opportunities however. Last night I was able to go to Baccalaureate (sp?) in Vernon at my old church. It was the first year that they ever hosted it. It was a great night. The seniors and families had no idea that I was coming so it was a lot of fun to suprise them. I saw tons of folk that I haven't seen in long time. It was a great time to catch up and to gain some closure on my leaving four months ago. It was definitly needed.

I had a friend ask me last night if I regretted leaving Vernon. I was able to tell her "no". That was a good feeling. While I miss those west Texas folks intensly, I know that God has brought me to another chapter in life that will be totally different from the last. I was talking to one of my former elders last night about how much I missed everyone, yet how I knew that God had brought me to the right place and how it was tough to make sense of all of that. My former elder spoke of "treasures in heavan" and how good friendships and rich relationships served that purpose in heavan. These great people that we invest in over the years will be with us someday when we go home. Those treasures are being stored up now. What a great thought, huh?

While God might put us different places and take us farther away from the ones we love, he always blesses deep, meaninful relationships that are based on him. That is good. Very good.

Hope you guys are well.

No comments: