Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Tonight during our youth time we discussed Jer 29 and 31. We are about to go into a season of reflection and planning in regards to our youth ministry. I have an amazing group of kids, especially for a town this small (about 11,000). I truly believe that I have some future leaders of the church (guys and girls). When I took over this youth ministry a year and a half ago, there were no visible leaders. Now that the kids are a little older and more mature, I want them to take the reigns and be more responsible for the ministry that they are a part of. I feel like I teach them too much and don't let them serve or lead anything themselves. So, next Wednesday night, we are going to go through our strengths and weaknesses as a group and lay it all on the table. We will proccess who we are right now and try to see if that lines up where God wants us to be. We saw in Jeremiah that God has definite plans for His people. Now we want to see what he has in store for us. After we see who we are, we will then set some goals for ourselves for the next year. We want to have some kind of direction, not wandering aimlessly. Hopefully they will see some areas that they will take a hold of and own for themselves. The truth is, I am incapable of serving all of them the way they need to. We need to be a youth ministry, not a youth group. There is a huge difference between the two. I believe that our brotherhood is full of youth groups that don't know how to minister to those around them. I believe that a youth ministry should positively affect anyone it comes in contact with, not only other youth. I want my group to be in the buisiness of ministry, not just being a group. If they want a group they can join one at school. It is a hard thing to sell and even harder to implement, but if we stick to it, I think that our local church will be changed. We will have to see and be patient.

That is my rant for the day. Hope you enjoyed! Have a blessed one.

Chris

1 comment:

Natalie Brooke said...

Chris,
I think those are some good plans for your youth group...ministry. We talked about it a little bit at camp, but you really do have some great kids in your group. I know I didn't meet all of them but those I did meet had an impact on me.
I think you have a group of teens who are becoming much more real and mature with there faith (the ones I met) and that is so exciting to see. I think what encouraged me the most was how accepting and how loving they are...and sincere about it. Your guys didn't focus on the girls (as far as i could tell)...they really tried to lead our group. And really tried to focus on God. I just see so much potential in them as you do. And your girls are just amazing from what I got to know about them.
I wish we could have talked more at camp...I've been a part of zenith for 8 years (going on forever!) and I've never been so touched as I was by the sincerety, compassion and honesty of these kids. I just thought I'd share that with you. (sorry, I know this is long!). I just wanted to tell you how great your kids really are. I know you know that, Chris. They are very encouraging and I'm so excited to see how God uses them. What a blessing it was to see Jesus in them, to see how God used them at camp and of course to get to know them this summer.
Okay, this goes down in the books as one of my longer comments, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to brag on your kids! Praise God for the example they were to me and our group. Keep in touch and let me know how everything is going. Many blessings...Nat