Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I guess I forgot

The last few months have been hectic for me, even very stressful. If you read my last post you know that I have made a move in my life from Vernon to Granbury. I have been here now less than a week and I am starting to settle in a bit. It is a different world here in Granbury. There is so much more going on and a lot more to fill my time. I think I will like it here.
But that is not why I am writing this morning. For the last few months I have been preoccupied with moving and saying goodbye to people I love. I have not spent much time with teenagers, which is what I have dedicated my life to for the last three years. So, because of the nature of moving, I have not had the opportunity to be around the demographic that I am called to serve.

Last night I hung out with the Granbury kids for the first time. We went and had dinner, then went to a talent show put on by Project Graduation at the school. It was so much fun! They had kids do magic, dance, sing, and play instruments. There were some who were talented, some who were not so talented. There were two performances that stuck out in my mind though. One was two guys who had a "drum battle". They both set up their trap sets and started going nuts! It was amazing. They both took turns with a certain beat and one-uped each other. Too cool.

Then, four guys did the dance on the treadmills from the video from OK GO. If you haven't seen it check it out here. It was so awesome how all of the teens got into it and went crazy. The guys really pulled it off well I thought.

All it did was remind me about why I love teenagers and being a part of their lives while they grow. Teens don't have a lot of inhibition. They are who they are. Those guys playing the drums and the kids doing the treadmill dance were just out there having fun and being themselves. Teens always remind me about how to be open and honest and not to be anyone that I am not.

Sometimes I get insecure about being quiet natured and reserved around other people, especially as a minister. But if anything I have learned that I should be myself in all situations, the man that God made me to be. If I try to work outside of what God gave me, I am just being someone else that I am not.

That is why I love working with teenagers. I can be myself.

Chris

3 comments:

Niki said...

So true Chris. Who you are is great. Not because you serve in Youth Ministry. Not because you live in this small town or that big one. Not because teens love you. Not for a million reasons. You are great because of WHOSE you are. You love God and serve Him with what you do AND who you are. THAT my friend, makes you great!

Hope you're settling in well. ;)

Monica Vidaurri said...

Chris, i really enjoyed reading this blog! Kids really do bring the kids out in us! Working with the kids at the children's home has really made me pretty silly, and goofy! And I love the fact that I can be myself!!! You are a great man, and the youth at Granbury are going to love you! You are so much fun to be around!! Talk to you later!

Natalie Brooke said...

That's right, Whose you are! Remember David's words in Psalm 139:14...

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full and well."

How personal and uplifting are those words! His works are wonderful and to be one of His works is so awesome! I read this Psalm almost daily. There is something very striking about that verse to me. It gives me chill bumps and the undeniable confidence that who I am is the woman He created!

I'm excited for you as you begin this new journey. I know the kids in Vernon are going to miss you, but God has something bigger planned for you in Granbury right now. You've accepted His challenge and embraced His plan. This example of following where God calls you is one of the best things you could have shown them. Keep me updated.

Hey...so will you be at Zenith?