Wednesday, April 26, 2006

worship? we don't have a clue......

As a youth minister who teaches quite a bit, I hit points of struggle as to what I should teach my youth. When you work with a group of kids, there are all kinds of spiritual needs. Some need love, others need admonishment, a few need challenge, while others simply need prayer. What does one do when it comes to teaching kids? There are times that I am truly at a loss.

This month I am teaching a series on worship. One of the things that I have found about this specific group of teenagers is that they have no clue about coming into the throne room of the Lord to worship. As their teacher, I am not always sure about how to do that! Yet I am convicted that they need to know how to truly worship the Lord.

Unfortunatly, we have all been taught that worship is simply vertical. That is, worship is simply between the individual and God. If there was no one else in the room, it would make no difference(as the philosophy goes). Yet when we look at scripture and see the overwhelming emphasis on community and togetherness as Christians. If this is true, we must realize that there is a tremendous "horizontal" aspect of worship. We NEED each other when it comes to the worship of God.

Yet when I look at our church (and youth group) I see a lot of division. The body of Christ is indeed broken still. How are we supposed to worship with each other when we don't even like each other? How are we to approach the throne of God together when we can't even live life together? I am so confused!

Let me scream it into this great blogosphere. WE NEED JESUS! We need Him to permeate all of the corners of our lives! He needs to be the central focus of our choices, reactions, passions, mistakes, and misgivings. We need the healing power of the cross to transform us into the likeness of our God.

It's a pipedream, but it's my pipedream. Wait, I believe it is the Lord's pipedream for his people (Acts 2:42-47). Let us live together in worship so we can go to God together in worship.

I think I found my lesson.

Chris

5 comments:

Niki said...

Yes Chris! We worship what we love and we don't worship what we don't love. Not truly love anyway. Everyone worships something. I guess I always thought that worship was too horizontal - you know worhipping the created instead of the Creator. I question the needing of other people to worship the Lord. I am in complete agreement that we NEED other people and NEED to be in fellowship with other believers. I love that we do come together to worship, but I don't know that that's what makes it worship. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Or maybe we've just mis-used the word "worship" for so long.

"Let us live together in worship so that we can go to God together in worship"...that implies that we are worshipping individually first. We're to be worshipping God in everything we do and in how we live our lives...not just the assembly that meets in a building on Sunday's.

Teens (and for that matter-adults)who have no clue about coming into the throne room don't understand God's love and the sacrifice made for them. We worship out of love and gratitude to the one who saved us from Hell and gives us new life. I'm not saying I always get this right.

Teaching on worship is a toughy! It's more than bowing your head and being quiet during prayers. It's more than taking notes during a sermon and trying to "catch" the lessons there. It's more than the songs that make us feel good. It's about the connection to the Creator. It's a gift we give to Him. It's a relationship, not an activity.

I see your heart in this Chris, and it's awesome. I'll pray that God gives you your lessons on this topic.

Monica Vidaurri said...

Amen! You made me think about something, I wonder how I worship the Lord? Do I first truly worship Him with my whole being? I must confess, I have found myself holding back so many emotions and feelings that I wish to express to Him in so many ways. Why don't I do it? Maybe its because of what we made worship to be.
We have made it so conservative with so many rules. I don't know maybe I'm misunderstanding. But, what I do know is that Worship is something amazing! The Spirit of God moves within us, drawing us closer to Him everyday. Our lives are living act of worship.

I have experienced true worship, and that was at the World Mission Workshop in Searcy,Arkansas. Everyone's hearts and minds were focused on the Lord. My heart was overflowing those three days.

We face a big challenge, but I know God will help us on this mission.

God has definelty set this upon your heart. God has given you many talents and abilities and I know he will reveal Himself to you. I will be praying. See you soon.

Crystal said...

Very inspiring Post! So True-You cut it to the heart! God Bless-Crystal Vidaurri

tamandscott said...

So true, Chris! I need Jesus every day. I would never make it in this crazy world without Him!

JD said...

amen, chris!