Thursday, February 09, 2006

Soundtrack of Life

I was reading Niki's blog the other day and she was talking about different music and how she was able to influence her kid's music choices as they grew up. I am a huge music fan but I haven't always been. I don't remember a ton of music in my house growing up (other than Sandi Patti) but as I got into middle school and high school my music intrests grew. Then after I started playing the ol' guitar I was thrust into a brave new world of music choices.

I don't know about you guys but when I hear certain songs, my heart is drawn back to different times of my life. Ususally those times have to do with some girl breaking my heart or some really sorry event in my life. But some songs take me back to fonder days. I have always thought it would be fun to make a soundtrack of my life that would chronicle different phases of my life. Now, I start this little venture with a disclaimer: even though my doing this seriously challenges my "straight-case", I want to reassure my readers that I still like chicks.

With that in mind, let's do this.

Middle school years- Mostly MC Hammer, Boyz (with the z) 2 Men, Vanilla Ice, Weird Al Yankovic (which I hear that he is still influencing our young minds today.......go Al!)

High School years- Got more into the alternative thing- Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Jars of Clay (their first and very best album) DC Talk's Jesus Freak

College Years- Two words for ya.......Caedmon's Call. My buddy Scott from MSU got me onto them way before they were ever popular. Their music seems to mark my college years. Also I got big into Bebo Norman, Andrew Peterson, Justin McRoberts, and Sandra McCraken. Some of my secular picks were Dave Matthews, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and anything remotley classic rock (because of my increased guitar playing of course)

Post Collegate track list- Since college I have retained a bunch of my favorites but also added some new ones.....Jack Johnson, Dashboard Confessional, a whole lot more Andrew Peterson, Shawn Groves, Jason Morant, Beth Dillon, Jill Phillips, Lifehouse, Kutless, Norah Jones.


I know that I left a ton out of this post. These are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I would like to see yours.

Chris

8 comments:

Niki said...

Let me be the first to say that I'm glad you still like chicks! LOL!

I had never met anyone who thought about the whole soundtrack of life thing until our first intern in Indiana, Mark Willis. We had a great time discussing what we'd include on our own cd's. Then you posted this, and Angi said she'd thought of it too, but never thought to say anything about it. I hear the chorus of "It's a small world" softly in the background of my mind. ;)

A couple of questions and comments for you...
1. Did you have the "Hammer pants"?
2. I LOVE Weird Al!
3. Jars of Clay's 1st CD was and is the best one they've done.
4. We like a lot of the same bands.
5. Did you start playing guitar because chicks like guys with sweet guitar skills?

Jinny said...

a group of us got together last year and made a soundtrack of our year at college together.. but i've never seen a soundtrack for someone's life... very interesting (and humorous) to read...

and speaking of Weird Al: did you know that he is a deacon at a Church of Christ in California... could you imagine going to church on sunday and having weird Al lead singing?

Niki said...

I'd attend that service! ;)

tamandscott said...

Ahem, Ahem, how about Poor Rich Folk?:)

Monica Vidaurri said...

You are absolutely right in saying that songs bring memories of a particular time in life. For instance. . .

There are many songs that remind me of my childhood and my young adulthood.

Here's the list. . .
Debbie Gibson, Gloria Estefan,Madonna,Vanilla Ice,Bryan Adams, MC Hammer, Tag Team, Boys II Men, All-4-One, all these groups and singers were definetly during my early ages---from age 4 to 11 years.

I would say, that my interest for rock and rap increased as I grew older, groups like, Bush, Nirvana, Sister Hazel, The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Bone thugs in Harmony,Tupac, Ice Cube, Brian McKnight, R.Kelly, reminds of my early teens. . .crazy times.

I would then say at about fifteen my genre of music changed. My interest in rap music faded and my interest in rock still remained and still does. But, other types of music interests me, such as classical, instrumental, and soft rock,Jazz, and choral music from the middle ages and early baroque period.
The times of my life have been full of great memories as well as heart brakers. But, they are all experiences and memories I never want to trade or forget.

I still love listening to some of my favorite songs from the past because they bring me back to a place where I was sad, happy, confused, in love, all of which remind me of who I am.

God has blessed us all with awesome songs and music. Music is so important to me, not a day goes by that I don't listen to music. We carry music everywhere we go. I listen to it when I get dressed in the moring, when I'm driving to school and work, when I'm exercising, studying, thinking, laughing, crying, I even have music that stays in my head throughout the day. Music is amazing! It's a definite blessing. Well, I believe I wrote a book! Sorry for the lengthy comment.
And I'm glad to know you like chicks!(I'm just repeating what you said in your blog):)
Hope you are well. God bless you.

Natalie Brooke said...

Great post!

Let's see...
The younger years-
-Acappella
-AVB (What's Your Tag Say)...accompaninied with some pretty slammin' choreography!
-New Kids on the Block
-Paula Abdul (yeah)

High School-
-I also like Caedman's Call
-Supertones
-Destiny's Child
-Our YG listened to the Goo Goo Dolls alot, their songs always bring back fun memories!
-and really anything country

Now-
-Chris Rice
-Chris Tomlin
-Casting Crowns
Anything on KLove really,
If it has SOUL...I love it!
Jammin' with the band to some classic rock (I hear ya on that one!)
And of course country for obvious reasons!

tamandscott said...

Update your blog already!

Mrs. D said...

I was recently introduced to Jason Morant for the first time. He was opening for Todd Agnew (one of my favorites), and I enjoyed his music very much.

I agree with both you and Niki about Jars of Clay. As a matter of fact, I was vacationing in Anchorage, AK in July of 1996 and they just happened to be in concert there promoting their first album. The concert was very low-key and small, but it was so good!

His,
Jennifer